I love these sweet and simple cut-out air fresheners. They’re easy to make and to re-use and are a fantastic alternative to products that use synthetic fragrances (I’m looking at you toxic trees!). I’ve used wool felt, a fabric that naturally diffuses essential oils and can be reused indefinitely, minimizing waste. Cut felt into shapes, combine essential oils to fit your mood and hang in spaces that could use a scent uplift.
DIY Air Freshener
-makes 4 air fresheners
1 sheet paper
1 piece 100% wool felt (roughly 9 x 12 inches)
essential oils (I’ve recommended a few blends below)
1 hole punch
1 ball string or twine
1. Draw shapes of choice onto paper and cut out.
2. Pin paper shapes onto felt and cut along edges.
3. Punch a single hole near the edge of each of your felt cutouts and thread a piece of string through it. Tie a knot to create a loop.
4. For each cut-out, drop 20-30 drops of essential oils directly onto felt.
5. Hang in spaces, reapplying essential oils once scent has faded.
Some of my favourite scent combos are:
Orange and cinnamon (10 drops sweet orange, 6 drops cinnamon, 3 drops cardamom)
Mint and eucalyptus (15 drops peppermint, 10 drops eucalyptus and 5 drops rosemary)
Spruce and lavender (20 drops lavender, 10 drops black spruce)
Grapefruit and spearmint (20 drops spearmint, 10 drops grapefruit)
Have fun with your shapes and scents!